Thursday, December 21, 2006



Yesterday I had been to Ramnagram as a part of year ending celebration from office. It was a nice compact one day trip, mainly focusing on (as the organizers and instructors told us) our ability to push ourselves to the edge and if possible beyond it. One of the instructors told us in his opening remarks that Most of us are our best when we are thrown into the most difficult situations.

And yesterday was difficult definitely, If I was my best, I surely don’t know.

The first half of the day, we did rapling from a 90ft tall steep vertical rock hill. We were to use a rope which was clipped to a harness worn around our waist and release the rope slowly as we climbed down at 90 degrees to the rock. The initial couple of steps were scary, but as we got used to the descend, I slowly gained courage to look down and Man, it was an awesome sight and a great feeling to be hanging there up in the air. After a few more steps I imagined my self to be Tom Cruise in MI2 (Yeah a slightly over weight version though) and started looking side ways, down and virtually all ways to give the pose. But before I started savoring the feeling in, I had completed the descend.

The second half was a trek (it felt like number of miles although the organizers told us it is only few KM's) but the fun was climbing rocks, walls, descending and sliding through narrow openings. In some cases, there were much easier ways to move ahead… but we took the hard way ahead to strongly tell ourselves that there were much difficult tasks outside of our jobs…. How thoughtful….

Finally we reached the Summit…. Now Ramnagaram is the place where Sholay was shot ….. And the instructor showed us the place where Gabbar was sitting in the climax; Where Samba was sitting, where Basanti danced…….

The summit was the greatest of all; we had to climb a vertical rock hill using thin step carved out of the rock….. This was not for the weak hearted….

Over all a great day…. Though my body is still aching trying to be at my best yesterday.

No comments: