Saturday, January 16, 2010

Color of Red

I see it in his eyes
I see it when they fall
In the blood spilled over petty claims
In the slit of evil lies
Through the mortar shells, and the wicked pen
I see it within, I see it without
When an Innocent falls, and a war is won.

I see it in her lips
I see it in the red rose bud
In the air around, in shy crescendo
On her cheeks, the innocent kiss
Through the pretty gifts and the loving pen
I see it in my heart
When one falls in love and a life is won.

I see it at creation
And at destruction
I see it in rings exchanged
I see it when all have changed
I see it in the new born smile
I see it at the last flame
When all is gained, but the love is lost.

Oh, color of red,
Such an uninvited guest
Loved by all, despised the same
What an apt beginning, what an apt end
I see it around me at dawn
And when the sun sets;
When one day dies, and another takes birth.

Dannie John
16-Jan-10

No comments: